Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Confessions of a Raging Perfectionist by Amanda Jenkins (Review)







  • Paperback: 224 pages

  • Publisher: Tyndale House Publishers (April 19, 2013)

  • ISBN-13: 978-1414378701



  • From the Back Cover

    Minutes I spent working out: 45
    Minutes I spent reading my Bible: 10
    Number of kids who got my undivided attention: 2 outta 4
    Number of rooms looking picture perfect: 2½
    Number of Diet Cokes I drank to power through: 4


    Eesh—room for improvement. Resolve to read longer, drink less caffeine, and clean more. And eat healthier. And call my mom twice a week. And finish what I start. And maintain what I finish. And . . .

    I’m a raging perfectionist. A dent in my car drives me nuts, I don’t leave the house without mascara, and I hate it when my junk drawer isn’t organized. And I keep track of my Bridget Jones–style stats—pounds gained or lost, stuff accomplished, stuff not accomplished.

    While on the surface those things are minor, at their root is my desire to be admired for being perfectly put together.

    In the past few years, God has nudged me (more like shoved me) down a better road. Coming to terms with my addiction to perfection in all its forms has been exhausting, but freedom is on the horizon. The result? This book—a journal of sorts that tracks what I’ve been learning along the way.

    I’m hoping my transparency will help pry away the things that have become my idols, loosening their grip on my heart and mind.

    And I pray God will use my journey to further yours.
     
     
    My Review:
     
     This was a light easy to read book. The author clearly shows her own struggles and gives suggestions for others in the same situation. There are a lot of little stories throughout the book based on real life to help illustrate the main point of the chapter. I enjoyed reading those. It is a little comforting to know others struggle the same way I do in the same areas and I'm not all alone. The author is very honest and there is some humor in the book. There is a study guide at the end of the book if you want to use it study or in a group setting. This is a Christian book. The author's faith shows through in the scriptures throughout the book and her testimony. You do not have to be a perfectionist to like this book. Recommended.   
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
    Amanda Jenkins, before life as a homemaker and mother of four, worked in sales and marketing for a number of Christian retailers, as well as in visual communications and advertising. She spent ten years in L.A. alongside her film-making husband, surrounded by plastic surgery and high-falutin' lifestyles, which is where she became convicted and inspired to write about her struggle with perfectionism. Amanda attended Northwestern Bible College and graduated with a degree in Biblical Studies and Communications. She has taught Bible studies for women of all ages for the past 14 years, and is passionate about communicating truth in a culturally relevant and humorous way. Today, she lives just outside of Chicago with her husband, Dallas, and their four young children, including their newly adopted son.

    No comments:

    Classics Club Spin 18

    My Classics Club Spin List for August This is a hodgepodge of books left on my list I made in 2017 for the Classics Club. Tomorrow the clu...