Sunday, July 28, 2013

Sinner's Creed by Scott Stapp (Review)





  • Hardcover: 336 pages

  • Publisher: Tyndale House Publishers; Reprint edition (October 2, 2012)

  • ISBN-13: 978-1414364568


  • "Sinner's Creed" is the uncensored memoir of Scott Stapp, Grammy Award-winning leader of the multiplatinum rock band CREED. During CREED's decade of dominance and in the years following the band's breakup, Scott struggled with drugs and alcohol, which led not only to a divorce, but also to a much-publicized suicide attempt in 2006. Now clean, sober, and in the midst of a highly successful solo career, Scott has finally come full circle--a turnaround he credits to his renewed faith in God.

    In "Sinner's Creed," Scott shares his story for the first time--from his fundamentalist upbringing, the rise and fall of CREED, and his ongoing battle with addiction, the rediscovery of his faith, and the launch of his solo career. The result is a gripping memoir that is proof positive that God is always present in our lives, despite the colossal mess we sometimes make of them.


    My Review:

    I thought this was a good memoir. I was interested to read it because I love several of Creed's songs. I remember when they were really popular and some of the controversy surrounding them. Parts of the story I never would have guessed like his upbringing being so rough. It's a miracle he overcame it. The book included his whole life without being overwhelming or too long. My heart broke for him at what he endured as a child. It explains some of his song lyrics. When I hear certain songs now I realize what is behind them. The book also included his adult years and his struggle with drugs and alcohol. At the end he is finally clean, married, and has children. He credits all of it to God. I think the story was inspiring and reminded me that God loves us and will redeem us. Recommended.

     

    No comments:

    Classics Club Spin 18

    My Classics Club Spin List for August This is a hodgepodge of books left on my list I made in 2017 for the Classics Club. Tomorrow the clu...