Friday, February 15, 2008

Good Quote

" Readers usually grossly underestimate their own importance. If a reader cannot create a book along with the writer, the book will never come to life. Creative involvement: that’s the difference between reading a book and watching TV.

In watching TV, we are passive - sponges; we do nothing. In reading we must become creators, imagining the setting of the story, seeing the facial expressions, hearing the inflection of the voices. The author and the reader ”know” each other; they meet on the bridge of words."

-Madeleine L’Engle, Walking on Water: Reflections on Faith and Art

2 comments:

Tarasview said...

what an amazing quote! I love it and it is so true!

Amy said...

I love that quote!

Classics Club Spin 18

My Classics Club Spin List for August This is a hodgepodge of books left on my list I made in 2017 for the Classics Club. Tomorrow the clu...